“We have protected important areas of land for future agricultural development and production. Our agricultural heritage is enhanced through diversification and innovation in the sustainable use of agricultural land. We have a robust industry characterized by ongoing stability, viability and best practice, and we are recognized as leaders in the agricultural sector.”
Identify and continue to protect valuable agricultural land.
- Identify and prioritize agricultural lands for protection
- Use regulations and programs, such as land banking, to protect agricultural land
Encourage a diverse blend of adaptive, dynamic farms and farming, reflecting a range of sizes, practices, production capabilities and products.
- Identify agricultural sector priorities for future variations in farms and farming
- Develop regulations that are flexible and enable existing and potential variations infarming - sizes, practices, production capabilities and products
Enable knowledge and business transfers between established farmers and new farmers.
- Establish partnerships aimed at attracting and supporting new farmers,
newcomers and youth in farming and related businesses
- Enable farm succession and business transfer between established farmers and
new farmers, newcomers and youth.
Become leaders in agriculture by creating a regional environment that supports innovation in a broad range of farming practices.
- Establish partnerships aimed at attracting and supporting new farmers, newcomers and youth in farming and related businesses
Forge a deeper understanding of agriculture within the community through access to healthy, affordable, locally produced food.
- Support initiatives that bring citizens and farmers together to discuss current and
future agricultural needs in the community
- Engage educational partners to support agricultural curriculum and learning
within the school system
- Identify locations for small-scale urban farming within communities
Read submitted comments about the principles.