We are excited to announce the release of the first draft of the new Municipal Planning Strategy for the Municipality of Kings. The final version of the new Municipal Planning Strategy will provide the policies that the Municipality of Kings uses to guide where and how development occurs.
This ‘Draft for Consultation’ is a major
component of the Kings 2050 initiative
and results from almost two years of research and consultation. It is an amalgamation of everything we have heard from the residents of Kings County.
The ‘Draft for Consultation’ Municipal Planning Strategy is—just as the name implies—a draft that is intended as a starting point for more detailed public consultation and Council discussions. Municipal staff have diligently researched the issues and provide possible policies and regulations. However, the Planning Advisory Committee (PAC) and Council have not yet reviewed or endorsed these drafts. Rather, Council and PAC will be looking at the draft, issue by issue, and giving staff direction about changes. This review will only happen with the support of extensive feedback from residents, businesses, and regional stakeholders.
Highlights of the ‘Draft for Consultation’ – Municipal Planning Strategy include:
- Building on the 1970s era planning framework by continuing to direct development to urban areas, protecting agricultural lands, protecting the environment, and managing land use conflicts.
- Covering new topic areas, including energy, infrastructure, and economic development.
- Providing more flexibility and reducing barriers to development in urban areas.
- Refining and being more strategic about where non-farm residential development is permitted in agricultural areas, while providing more flexibility for agriculture and other rural businesses.
- Updating floodplain mapping, modernizing stormwater management, and refining the protection of lakes and coastal shorelines.
A more detailed summary of proposed changes can be found here (PDF, 1,409 KB).
Now is the time for your feedback. What can we improve on? What did we get right? Are there things that need to be clarified? Have your say and tell us how to make the draft better.
The main document, plus early opportunities to provide feedback, can be found on our new…
Draft Plan webpage